Sunday 2 October 2011

Activity 10.4.1 - SIP

I do not think I fully understand what SIP actually is. It has been explained to me and I have researched it a little on the web but it still kind of confuses me.

What sort of etiquette do you think will develop to cope with this 'always available' capability? and is it a good thing that work will expect you to be always available?
We discussed this as a team and it seems we are in an agreement that, hopefully, people would be sensible by not trying to contact people at ridiculous hours. Which we realise doesn't always happen. Some bosses do not seem to think about how they should not be calling their employees at 11 O'clock at night! I think that everyone should be allowed to switch off from work when they leave at the end of the day. But I guess this can not always happen and those who are in high powered should, I suppose, expect to be taking their work home with them.
On the other hand there are some jobs that need this 'always available' capability like midwives and the on call doctor. I am not sure what maternity care is like in other parts of the country but here, in Motueka, being able to get hold of your midwife, no matter what the time, is essential as we do not have a maternity hospital nearby which has open at all times.

I think if the 'always available' capability doesn't get taken advantage of and employers and employees only contact each other, outside of work hours, in emergencies then it would be a great thing but no one wants to be answering a phone, in the middle of the night, only to be told something that could have waited till morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment